Killing yourself won't make you happy, it will simply make you dead.
In the next 24 hours 1,439 Teens will attempt suicide.
One of my best friends commited suicide. Another one of my friends attempted suicide. The main reson I made this webpage is to help prevent teens from commiting suicide. If this page can help just one person then it will be well worth my efforts.
The person actually talks about suicide.
The person talks about feeling hopeless and/or worthless.
The person gives away important possessions.
The person seems to be getting his/her affairs in order.
The person seems preoccupied with death.
The person no longer shows an interest in favorite things or activities.
Although the person has seemed sad, suddenly he/she is calm and happy.
The person is reckless, endangering his/her life and/or those of others.
The person is abusing drugs and/or alcohol.
The person has suffered a recent loss: employement, death, divorce, money, status, relationship, etc.
The person suffers from symptoms of depression.
What can you do to help?
Ask if the person is thinking about suicide.
Listen openly and without judging.
Believe what a person says, and take all threats seriously.
Never keep someone's suicidal feelings a secret.
Share responsibility by getting others involved.
Reassure the person that help is available, and support and encourage him/her to reach
out to sources of help in the community.
Act immediately if you feel someone is at imminent risk for suicide by involving others
who can help... and if necessary make contact with the police, emergency services, or a
hospital to ensure the person's safety.
Who can help?
Mental Health Clinics
Community Leader or Elder
School or Work Counsellor
clickHERE: for a list of crisis phone numbers
clickHERE: to find a Crisis Center in your area
clickHERE: for a list books on suicide
There are several facts about suicide that we do know:
1. Suicide rate in young people has been increasing.
2. Suicide is uncommon in children under the age of 10 but its incidence increases after the onset of puberty and peaks at young adulthood.
3. There are many more attempted suicides than compleated suicides.
4. Many youths (between 60-80%) have sought help within the previous month before the suicide.
5. There is an increased risk if the youth has a previous history of attempted suicide.
6. Many completed suicides are well planned with the youths intending to kill themselves.
7. Suicide has major impact on family members and the youth's peers.
8. "Copy cat" suicides can occur and may follow dramatic portrayals of suicides on television programs or media items.
There are also many myths about suicide:
1. It can't happen to my teenage child.
2. Talking about suicidal intent will lead to suicide.
3. Suicide attempt is a manipulative behaviour and therefore should be ignored or even punished.
4. Suicides occur only in lower socio-economic groups.
5. Suicides come out of the blue with little or no warning.
6. Teenagers will "learn" from their "mistakes" and they won't try again.
7. Depression and other mental disorders do not occur in young people.
The adolescent suicide rate is nearly 33% higher than that of the overall population.
Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of adolescent death, following homicide and accidents.
As many as a quarter of a million adolescents make a serious unsuccessful effort to kill themselves every year.
About every 20 seconds someone someone in america attempts suicide.
Every 90 minutes a teenager or young adult is successful in killing themselves.
Guns are the most common means of suicide amoung males.
Pills are the most commonly used means of suicide for females.
April is the month with the highest suicide rate
When a person who's been depressed for a long time seems to cheer up, it is often a bad sign. A person who has seemed to reach a kind of peace or contentment after a long period of depression may actually be feeling relieved: He or she has finally decided to commit suicide and that decision brings a certain kind of relief.
This web page was made in loving memory of Chris Roldan.
Click the image above for a free virtual pet.
You can play free games and earn points and even
feed your pets. Everything is 100% free.